East Stour Primary School is a good school. The reason that East Stour is a good school is down to all those people involved in the school, especially the children, working hard to acheive.
A Governor is a critical friend of the school and for the school. As a Governor we are interested in the development and constant improvement required of the school, which is necessary to maintain and improve standards to enhance every child’s education. We question the Head Teacher and her staff regularly at prescribed meetings, the main one being the Full Governing Body meeting held three times a year, as well as smaller meetings which focus on specific areas: Curriculum, Finances and Premises.
Some of the questions we ask are:
- Do we have a clear vision for the school?
- What are the school values?
- What are we doing to raise standards for all children?
- Are we making best use of Pupil Premium?
- Have we got the right approach to staffing?
- How well does the curriculum provide for and stretch all pupils?
- How does the school promote good behaviour to enhance learning?
- Do we have a sound financial strategy; making the most of our resources, obtaining good value for money and having robust procurement and financial systems?
- Are the building and other assets in good condition and are they well used?
- Do we keep children safe and healthy?
- How well do we keep parents informed and take account of their views?
Governors are ordinary people who have an interest in children’s education and are prepared to commit some of their time to that end. Some of our Governors are parents with a direct interest in the school, some are from the local community – who see the school as the heart of it, some are staff and some just wish to use some of their time to benefit others.
We are always interested to hear from potential governors. Should you have an interest in becoming a school governor at East Stour, then please contact Cathy Chambers, School Business Manager, and she will put you in touch with the right people at the right time for a completely non-committal chat.
Chair of Governors.